Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Report a noise nuisance

To report an issue you need to be registered for a My Account. This will save you having to re-enter information and allow you to track the progress of the report. 

Use this page to get help with noise that is significantly interfering with your home life, affecting your health or is likely to affect your health.

We can investigate complaints from noises which may be significantly impacting your daily life, including:

  • Excessive or persistent barking dogs
  • Loud music and certain noise from neighbours
  • Alarms that have been sounding for an extended period of time
  • Shop delivery trucks at unreasonable hours, for example, before 07:00 or after 23:00
  • Industrial machinery noise
  • Entertainment noise from licensed premises, such as pubs and clubs
  • Construction or demolition noise

There are no set times for when certain noises are, or are not, permitted. The factors mentioned in the investigation section below will all be taken into account to determine if a noise is considered a nuisance.

Sometimes a noise may be annoying, but it may not be a nuisance as far as the law is concerned.

We are unable to help you with:

  • Noise from unknown sources
  • Day-to-day domestic noise, for example mowing, washing machines, vacuuming, footsteps and talking
  • Noise associated with normal reasonable household behaviour
  • Noise caused by poor sound insulation
  • Young children playing
  • Banging doors
  • Fireworks
  • Emergency vehicles, for example police sirens
  • Road traffic noise – more information can be found at Highways England and Somerset County Council
  • Railway noise can be reported to Network Rail
  • Aircraft noise can be reported to the Civil Aviation Authority

Report a nuisance noise

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?