Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement

Report a bonfire or nuisance smoke

It is understood that bonfires can be a quick and easy way of getting rid of garden waste, however please consider alternatives before lighting a fire.


  • Most garden waste can be composted into a useful soil conditioner, saving you the cost of buying commercial products.
  • Store the garden waste, turning it regularly. This will enable the waste to dry so that it can be transported to your nearest Household Waste Recycling Centre when restrictions are lifted.

To report an issue you need to be registered for a My Account. This will save you having to re-enter information and allow you to track the progress of the report. 

There is no law against having a bonfire and it is permissible to burn vegetation, however, it must not be so persistent or regular as to cause a nuisance to neighbouring properties.

How can we help?

Please see Government Guidance on garden bonfires and smoke nuisance for further information.

Use this page to get help with a bonfire or smoke nuisance that is:

  • happening frequently
  • a large bonfire causing a nuisance or danger to others
  • burning man-made materials such as plastic

If you have seen smoke drifting across a public highway, contact the Police on 101.

It is an offence for an industrial or commercial property to produce dark smoke either from a chimney or from a commercial or industrial premises or a bonfire.

If you have seen any dark smoke from commercial or trade premises, contact us immediately on 01935 462462.

For information on domestic wood burning, including wood burning stoves and chimneys, visit our air quality page

Report a smoke nuisance

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?