Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
Discounts and exemptions

Single Person Discount

If you are the only person aged 18 or over living in your home, you may be eligible for Single Person Discount (SPD). 

The property has to be your sole and main residence.

If you are looking to apply for a SPD because you have just moved into a new property or because someone has recently moved out of your property, then you should start by telling us about the move. We will automatically apply your discount once you have reported your move and we have confirmed that you are the only adult at this address.

If you are applying for this discount because an adult member of the household has passed away, you should begin by reporting the death to us via the Tell Us Once service. Once you have told us and we have verified that you are the sole adult in the property, we will automatically apply your SPD. 

If you have a spouse or a partner living elsewhere it is unlikely you will be able to claim this discount. For example, we don’t provide SPD for:

  • Spouses/partners working away from home and paying council tax elsewhere
  • Service personnel on deployment

You will need to be signed in to 'My Account' to complete the form. If you do not have an account, register now

If you are signed in but cannot view your Council Tax information, it may be because you have not verified your Council Tax account. Request access by entering your Council Tax reference number. 

My Council Tax

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?