This thriving community is one of the largest parishes in
Somerset and has one of the oldest domestic dwellings, the
National Trust's Treasurer's
House, as well as an impressive 13th parish
church with one of the finest carved tie beam roofs in Somerset and
an old grammar school founded in 1661.
The Martock Bean used to be a popular plant in the 16th and 17th
centuries and old Martockians are known as "Beanies"
The Ash village church was constructed between 1840 and
1887 has a simple tower which was added as a war memorial after the
First World War - stating the tower was built "in honour of all
those who gave their lives for King and Country."
Yandles is worth a visit for
crafters and woodworkers and to the north of the village is Town Tree Nature
Martock Community Information Office,
The Market House,
t: 01935 310040